Trump wants his Board of Peace to solve world conflicts. It still has a lot of work to do in Gaza

JERUSALEM (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump'sBoard of Peaceisset to meetfor the first time on Thursday in Washington, an early test of whether one of his marquee foreign policy initiatives can gain broad support and advance the shaky ceasefire agreementin the Gaza Strip.

Associated Press FILE - Palestinians walk along a street surrounded by buildings destroyed in Israeli air and ground operations during a dust storm in Gaza City, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi) FILE - Palestinians inspect damage to a tent hit by an Israeli strike in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana, file)

Board of Peace Explainer

Trump'sballooning ambitionsfor the board extend from governing and rebuilding Gaza as a futuristic metropolis to challenging the United Nations Security Council's role in solving conflicts. But they could be tempered by the realities of dealing with Gaza, where there has so far been limited progress in achievingthe narrower aimsof the ceasefire.

Palestinians, including many civilians, are still being killed innear-daily strikesthat Israel says are aimed at militants who threaten or attack its forces. Hamas hasn't disarmed, no international forces have deployed, and a Palestinian committee meant to take over from Hamas is stuck in neighboring Egypt.

"If this meeting does not result in fast, tangible improvements on the ground — and particularly on the humanitarian front — its credibility will quickly crumble," said Max Rodenbeck, Israel-Palestine Project Director at the International Crisis Group, a global think tank.

A new international body

More than two dozen nations have signed on as the board'sfounding members.

The list includes Israel and other regional heavyweights involved in ceasefire negotiations, as well as countries from outside the Middle East whose leaders support Trump or hope to gain his favor. U.S. allies like France, Norway and Swedenhave so far declined.

Israelis are suspicious of the involvement of Qatar and Turkey, which have longstanding relations with Hamas. Palestinians object because their representatives weren't invited to the board, even as it weighs the future of a territory that is home to some 2 million of them.

Trump, the self-appointed chairman of the board, said earlier this week that member countrieshad pledged $5 billiontoward rebuilding Gaza and would commit thousands of personnel to peacekeeping and policing. No financial pledges — or an agenda for this week's meeting — have been made public.

"We want to make it successful. I think it has the chance to be the most consequential board ever assembled of any kind," Trump told reporters on Monday. He reiterated his criticism of the U.N.'s record on resolving international disputes.

Ambitious plans

Trump — along with son-in-law Jared Kushner and envoy Steve Witkoff — has laid out ambitious plans for rebuilding Gaza with international investment.

In Davos last month,Kushner suggestedreconstruction could be complete in a matter of three years, even though U.N. forecasts suggest that clearing rubble and demining alone could take much longer.

Kushner's slides showed a reconstructed Gaza with a coastal tourism strip, industrial zones and data centers. He conceded that rebuilding would begin only in demilitarized areas and that security would be essential to attract investment.

The latest joint estimate by the U.N., European Union and World Bank says reconstruction will cost about $70 billion.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said there will be no reconstruction until Hamas disarms, leaving Palestinians in limbo among the widespread devastation.

Advertisement

Halting progress

The ceasefire deal has halted major military operations,freed the last hostagesheld by Hamas and ramped up aid deliveries to Gaza. But a lasting resolution to the two-year war ignited byHamas' Oct. 7, 2023 attackinto Israel remains elusive.

The deal envisions Hamas handing over its weapons and Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza as international forces deploy. Itleft some questions unanswered and set no timelineto secure buy-in and defer confrontation over those issues.

Israel and the U.S. say Hamas' disarmament is key to progress on the other fronts. Arab and Muslim members of the Board of Peace have accused Israel of undermining the ceasefire with its daily strikes and want the U.S. to rein in its close ally. They have called on Hamas to disarm but say Israel's withdrawal is just as important.

Israel defines demilitarization as extending from heavy weapons like rocket-propelled grenades all the way down to rifles. Netanyahu said Sunday that Hamas would have to give up roughly 60,000 automatic rifles.

Despite accepting the agreement, Hamas has made only vague or conditional commitments to disarm as part of a process leading to the establishment of a Palestinian state. Senior Hamas officials have saidtheir security forcesneed to retain some weapons in order to maintain law and order during the transition.

Some of the ideas under discussion include Hamas "freezing" its arms by placing them in sealed depots under outside supervision or giving up heavy weapons while keeping some handguns for policing, according to two regional officials involved in the negotiations. One official said disarmament is a complicated process that could take months. The officials requested anonymity to discuss the negotiations.

It's far from certain that Israel or the United States would agree to such ideas.

A stabilization force

The ceasefire deal also calls for a temporary International Stabilization Force made up of soldiers from Arab and Muslim-majority countries to vet, train and support to a new Palestinian police force. Its mandate is not spelled out in detail, but would include securing aid deliveries and preventing weapons smuggling.

Countries being asked to contribute to the force insist that any deployment be framed as a peacekeeping mission. They have refused to take part in the disarmament of Hamas, a job that could put them in harm's way. Another concern is the presence ofarmed groups allied with Israel.

Indonesia has begun training a contingent ofup to 8,000 soldiersfor the force, though its foreign minister said last week that they would not take part in disarmament.

Postwar governance

Under the ceasefire agreement, Hamasis to hand over powerto a transitional committee of politically independent Palestinian administrators. The U.S. has named a 15-member committee and tapped former U.N. envoy Nickolay Mladenov to oversee them as the board's envoy to Gaza.

The committee, led by former Palestinian Authority deputy minister Ali Shaath, has not yet been granted Israeli permission to enter Gaza from Egypt. Israel hasn't commented on the matter.

Mladenov said last week that the committee will not be able to work unless Hamas hands over power and ceasefire violations stop.

"We're only embarrassing the committee and ultimately making it ineffective," he said at the Munich Security Conference. "All of this needs to move very fast."

__ Magdy reported from Cairo. Aamer Madhani in West Palm Beach, Fla. contributed reporting.

Trump wants his Board of Peace to solve world conflicts. It still has a lot of work to do in Gaza

JERUSALEM (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump'sBoard of Peaceisset to meetfor the first time on Thursday in Washingto...
Potomac River E-coli levels skyrocket after 240 million gallons of sewage pour into waterway

An ecological crisis of "historic proportion" is underwayin the Potomac Riverafter a massive sewer pipe collapse north of Washington, D.C., the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said Tuesday.

NBC Universal

The millions of gallons of diseased waste polluting the major waterway that winds through the nation's capital is one of the largest sewage spills in U.S. history, according to theUniversity of Maryland.

E.coli bacteria levels in the Potomac were hundreds of times higher than the level the EPA considers safe when the water was tested this week at the site of the spill, officials from utility company DC Water said Tuesday.

Some 243.5 million gallons of raw sewage have poured into the Potomac since the Jan. 19 mishap, DC Water said.

But the waters near the capital city's Georgetown neighborhood fell within the EPA's safety limits when tested on Monday and weren't a risk for gastrointestinal illness and skin infections — largely because the river has been frozen over for weeks.

DC Water has told area residents to avoid the untreated sewage. They urge anyone who comes into contact with the wastewater to leave the area immediately, wash exposed skin thoroughly with soap and clean water, and seek medical attention if symptoms occur.

Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Squad in Maryland is warning their first responders to treat any emergency calls in or near the Potomac River spill site as "Hazmat calls," NBC Washington reports. Responders should wear personal protective equipment during those calls due to the dangerous levels of E. coli and other contaminants in the water.

As for the politics around the water crisis, those continued to be toxic.

"The Potomac Interceptor overflow is a sewage crisis of historic proportion," the EPA said in their first statement on the disaster. "Never should any American family, community, or waterway ever have to experience this level of extensive environmental damage."

The EPA, it said, has "the experience and track record to fulfill President Trump's strong desire to get this mess cleaned up as fast as humanly possible."

But, the EPA says, neither officials in Maryland, where the sewage pipe burst, nor in Washington, D.C., have sought the EPA's help.

Advertisement

The EPA's claim came on the same day that Trumpposted on Truth Socialthat the spill is "not at all" handled by the federal government and that if the governors of Maryland and Virginia, and the D.C. mayor — all three of whom are Democrats — want federal assistance, they will have to ask "politely" for help.

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore rejected the president's claims and said it was indeed the federal government's responsibility.

"I know this is breaking news to everyone, but the President is not telling the truth," Moore said.

Moore said it's been the job of the federal government to maintain that pipe "for the past century" and that thus far, Maryland's Department of the Environment has been fixing the pipe and cleaning-up the mess while the EPA has done nothing.

"Now that it is essentially 99% contained," Moore said, "the President of the United States is finally realizing that this was his job, and he hasn't been doing it for the past month."

The 54-mile Potomac Interceptor carries about 60 million gallons of wastewater every day from as far away as Dulles Airport in Sterling, Virginia, to the Blue Plains Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant in Southwest D.C. for treatment.

By Jan. 24, crews from DC Water were able to complete a bypass to reroute wastewater around the collapsed section of pipe and back into the sewer system.

The remaining emergency repairs to the pipe will be complete by mid-March, according to DC Water.

The long-term fixes to ensure that this pipe remains functional in the years to come will take 9 to 10 months, they said.

"The next critical step is to install a steel bulkhead gate later this week to isolate the damaged pipe section,"DC Water said in a statement. "Once the gate is in place, crews will work to pump out any remaining wastewater at the collapse site and start excavation to remove the rock dam that has been blocking inspection and repair."

It's also safe to drink the water in the nation's capital.

"There is no impact to the drinking water supply," DC Water Spokesperson Sherri Lewis told NBC Washington. "The sewer system, the water system are completely separate."

Potomac River E-coli levels skyrocket after 240 million gallons of sewage pour into waterway

An ecological crisis of "historic proportion" is underwayin the Potomac Riverafter a massive sewer pipe collap...
John Travolta Turns 72! See the Sweetest Photos of the

John Travolta/Instagram

People John Travolta with kids Ella Bleu and Ben John Travolta/Instagram

John Travoltais 72!

TheGrease,Saturday Night FeverandGet Shortyactor is ushering in a new year of life and it's safe to say, his kids will be by his side.

Travolta fell in love with late wife,Kelly Preston, when the two were working together onThe Expertin 1987. At the time, Preston was "not that happily married," in another relationship, so nothing happened initially.

By the early '90s Preston was single again and Travolta made his move. The two were engaged on New Year's Eve 1991, before they got married twice — first on Sept. 5, 1991, at the Hotel de Crillon in Paris, then again a few days later in Daytona Beach, Florida, on Sept. 12.

The couple would welcome three kids throughout their decades-long marriage. Their first son, Jett, was born on April 13, 1992, followed by daughter, Ella Bleu, on April 3, 2000.

In 2009,Jett sadly diedwhile the family was on vacation in the Bahamas. He suffered a seizure and hit his head in a bathtub. He was 16.

The following year, John and Kelly welcomed Benjamin to their family on Nov. 10, 2010, whoJohn said was"a beautiful kind of glue for us to rebond after tremendous loss."

Ten years later, on July 12, 2020, Travolta announced on Instagram thatKelly Preston had diedafter living with breast cancer for two years.

Even with the losses, Travolta remains a devoted father and rock to Ella Bleu and Ben, giving small glimpses into their private moments at home, on birthdays and fun vacations. Travolta has also shared rare pictures of Kelly for Mother's Day over the years.

Below, see John Travolta's sweetest family photos.

Four of a Kind

John Travolta and his family Rogers and Cowan via Getty

Rogers and Cowan via Getty

John and Kelly were all smiles at they posed with kids Jett and Ella Bleu in this undated shot from the early aughts.

When in Cannes

John Travolta and Kelly Preston with their children Ella Bleu and Benjamin Stephane Cardinale/Corbis via Getty

Stephane Cardinale/Corbis via Getty

The family of four was dressed to the nines at the 2018 premiere of John'sGottiin Cannes.

Advertisement

Fun in the Snow

John Travolta with his kids John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

John, along with Ella Bleu and Benjamin sent well-wishes to fans during the Christmas holidays in 2023.

Happy Fourth!

John Travolta with his kids John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

John and the kids huddled together for a perfect Fourth of July shot, accented by fireworks in the background.

Honoring Kelly

John Travolta throwback John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

TheMob Landactor shared this sweet throwback of Kelly Preston with Ella Bleu and Ben. "Happy Mother's Day Kelly. We love you we miss you," he wrote in honor of the special day in 2024.

Precious Moments

John Travolta and Kelly Preston with their kids John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

He followed up with another personal photo for Mother's Day 2025, writing, "Happy Mother's Day Kelly! You did a great job!! We love you!"

Happy Birthday, Ben!

Ben Travolta John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

Travolta shared this scenic photo of his youngest son for his 15th birthday. "Happy Birthday my dear Ben! I can't believe how quickly you've grown up! I love you!

All Grown Up

John Travolta with his kids John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

Ella Bleu and Ben looked all grown up standing next to their dad as he sent best wishes for the New Year in 2025.

Belated Christmas Wishes

John Travota and kids John Travolta/Instagram

John Travolta/Instagram

The tight-knit trio closed out the year together, of course. "My beautiful babies in my belated Christmas card 2025. Hope all is going well," Travolta wrote.

Read the original article onPeople

John Travolta Turns 72! See the Sweetest Photos of the “Grease ”Actor with His Kids Through the Years

John Travolta/Instagram John Travoltais 72! TheGrease,Saturday Night FeverandGet Shortyactor is ushering in...
FCC chair denies censoring Colbert interview, confirms investigating ABC's 'The View'

WASHINGTON, Feb 18 (Reuters) - The chair of the Federal Communications ‌Commission on Wednesday the ‌government had censored CBS late-night show Stephen ​Colbert from airing a candidate interview and confirmed that the agency is investigating ABC's "The View."

Reuters

FCC Chair ‌Brendan Carr ⁠confirmed that the FCC had opened an enforcement ⁠into whether the ABC daytime talk show violated equal time ​rules for ​interviews with ​political candidates.

Advertisement

Colbert said ‌on Monday that the network's lawyers barred him from airing an interview with Democratic Texas State Representative James Talarico, who is ‌running for his ​party's nomination for the ​U.S. ​Senate, after the FCC ‌issued new guidance on ​January that ​said daytime and late-night talk shows were not exempt ​from equal ‌time rules for candidate interviews.

(Reporting ​by David Shepardson, Editing ​by Franklin Paul)

FCC chair denies censoring Colbert interview, confirms investigating ABC's 'The View'

WASHINGTON, Feb 18 (Reuters) - The chair of the Federal Communications ‌Commission on Wednesday the ‌government had cens...

 

MN MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com