ShowBiz

The children of late civil rights leader Jesse Jackson honor his legacy a day after his death

CHICAGO (AP) — From jokes about his well-known stubbornness to tears grieving the loss of a parent, the adult children of the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson Sr. gave an emotional tribute Wednesday honoring the legacy of the late civil rights icon, a day after his death.

Associated Press Jesse Jackson, Jr. stands near a picture of his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, during a news conference outside the family home Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Erin Hooley) Congressman Jonathan Jackson speaks during a news conference regarding the death of his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, outside the family home Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Erin Hooley) Yusef Jackson speaks during a news conference regarding the death of his father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, outside the family home Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Erin Hooley) Santita Jackson speaks during a news conference regarding the death of her father, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, outside the family home Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Erin Hooley) Darius Brooks is emotional during a news conference regarding the death of the Rev. Jesse Jacksond outside the family home Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, in Chicago. (AP Photo/Erin Hooley)

Jesse Jackson

Jackson died Tuesdayat his home in Chicago after battling arare neurological disorderthat affected his ability to move and speak. Standing on the steps outside his longtime Chicago home, five of his children, including U.S. Rep. Jonathan Jackson, remembered him not only for his decades-long work in civil rights but also for his role as spiritual leader and father.

"Our father is a man who dedicated his life to public service to gain, protect and defend civil rights and human rights to make our nation better, to make the world more just, our people better neighbors with each other," said his youngest son, Yusef Jackson, fighting back tears at times.

The family said details on funeral arrangements for Jackson would be announced at a later time, but services will begin next week, with him lying in repose at the headquarters of the organization he founded, Rainbow/PUSH Coalition in Chicago, which his son Yusef oversees. Services will follow at a church large enough to accommodate expected crowds.

Jackson rose to prominence six decades ago as a protege of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., joining thevoting rights marchKing led from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama. King later dispatched Jackson to Chicago to launch Operation Breadbasket, a Southern Christian Leadership Conference effort to pressure companies to hire Black workers.

Jackson was with King on April 4, 1968, when the civil rights leader was slain.

Advertisement

Remembrances have poured in worldwide for Jackson, including flowers left outside the home where large portraits of a smiling Jackson had been placed. But his children said he was a family man first.

"Our father took fatherhood very seriously," his eldest child, Santita Jackson, said. "It was his charge to keep."

His children's reflections were poetic in the style of the late civil rights icon — filled with prayer, tears and a few chuckles, including about disagreements that occur when growing up in a large, lively family.

His eldest son, Jesse Jackson Jr.,a former congressman, said his father's funeral services would welcome all, "Democrat, Republican, liberal and conservative, right wing, left wing — because his life is broad enough to cover the full spectrum of what it means to be an American."

The family asked only that those attending be respectful.

"If his life becomes a turning point in our national political discourse, amen," he said. "His last breath is not his last breath."

The children of late civil rights leader Jesse Jackson honor his legacy a day after his death

CHICAGO (AP) — From jokes about his well-known stubbornness to tears grieving the loss of a parent, the adult children o...
Christy Carlson Romano reveals positive cancer screening results: 'Cancer is everywhere'

Christy Carlson Romano revealed on Tuesday that she recently received a positive result from a cancer screening.

Yahoo Entertainment

TheEven Stevensstar began by disclosing her family's history of cancer. She explained that both her parents had the disease and that her mom "beat it" while her dad "eventually didn't." Her maternal grandmother died from lung cancer as well, Romano added. The 41-year-old actress and her husband, Brendan Rooney, both decided to take cancer screening tests as a result.

"My husband's came back completely negative. Mine did not come back negative," Romano said in an Instagram reel. "What that means is I may have stageable cancer. The steps are to get a PET scan. I'm fighting with companies to get that covered."

A PET scan, or positron emission tomography scan, is a radioactive imaging test that is often used to detect the spread of cancer, accordingto the Cleveland Clinic.

Romano went on to talk about James Van Der Beek, who died on Feb. 11from a years-long battle with Stage III colorectal cancerat 48 years old. Van Der Beek, like Romano, resided in Austin, where the actress said he was "a pillar of our community."

TheDawson's Creekactor's family and friends set upa GoFundMe pagefor his wife, Kimberly Van Der Beek, and their six children, to help the family rebuild financially following his death. The Van Der Beeks, according to a statement on the GoFundMe page, experienced "significant financial strainas they did everything possible to support James and provide for his care."

Advertisement

"I live in Austin and I was able to meet James Van Der Beek a bunch. His family's amazing," Romano tearfully said. "They always were raising money for the most amazing charities, and he's not with us anymore. Cancer is everywhere. Which is why I got this test."

Romano said that she "kind of was in disbelief" about her positive result, as she had just begun filming a movie in Florida. "I didn't really want to think about it much until I got home," she said, before adding that this is a "very vulnerable time for me."

"About 367 days since I gotshot in the face," Romano said, referring to an incident at a shooting range last June. "Time to have a strong sense of faith and know that it's in God's hands, most of it. I'm sure people think I'm overreacting, but I'm not, because cancer's pretty serious and I have two little girls."

Christy Romano and Shia LaBeouf on 'Even Stevens'.

Romano added, "When you're somebody like me, you kind of have to take life a day at a time. Really be grateful for all the amazing stuff around you."

In her Instagram caption for the reel, Romano admitted that she was hesitant to share her health update because she didn't want to seem "cringe." Ultimately, though, she felt it was "her duty to share so that people get out there and get screenings."

The former Disney Channel actress received an outpouring of support in the comments from her husband, fellow child actors Jaleel White (Family Matters) and Giovonnie Samuels (The Suite Life of Zack & Cody), and more.

Romano famously starred as Ren Stevens on the hit seriesEven Stevensfrom 2000 to 2003, alongside Shia LaBeouf. She went on to voice the titular teen hero onKim Possibleuntil 2007, before eventually launchingVulnerable, her podcast on which she interviews former child stars. She is also actively working onher memoir, which she's previously teased.

Christy Carlson Romano reveals positive cancer screening results: 'Cancer is everywhere'

Christy Carlson Romano revealed on Tuesday that she recently received a positive result from a cancer screening. ...
Shia LaBeouf breaks silence after Mardi Gras arrest in connection with alleged brawl with 2 men

Dave Benett/WireImage

Entertainment Weekly Shia LaBeouf in London on July 8, 2025 Dave Benett/WireImage

Shia LaBeoufhas just two words to share after his arrest in New Orleans on Tuesday.

"Free me," the 39-year-oldTransformersstar wrote in anX poston Wednesday morning. The brief update comes one day afterthe actor was arrestedat Mardi Gras on allegations of getting into a physical altercation with two men outside a Royal Street business.

Officers were called to the scene just after midnight, after LaBeouf was ejected from the establishment for alleged aggressive behavior that was causing a disturbance, authorities toldEntertainment Weekly.Per the police, one of the men reported that they were once outside LaBeouf struck them several times with his closed fists. The other claimed that the actor punched him in the nose.

In their statement to EW, police said several onlookers stepped in to hold LaBeouf down until officers arrived on the scene, at which point the actor was transported to a hospital and subsequently arrested after being discharged.

LaBeouf is facing two charges of simple battery. He was released from jail in New Orleans on Tuesday, and his pretrial hearing is scheduled for March 19. The actor returned to celebrating Mardi Gras in New Orleans hours after his release,multipleoutletsreported.

Advertisement

Representatives for LaBeouf and the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Department did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

Shia LaBeouf in Hollywood in November 2019  Rich Fury/Getty

Rich Fury/Getty

A day before his arrest, aHollywood Reporterstory said employees at several New Orleans businesses claimed that LaBeouf had been frequenting various drinking establishments in the city's Uptown neighborhood,as he seemed to be on a bar crawlthat began on Thursday. One bouncer claimed LaBeouf was "inebriated" and "somewhat belligerent," though other employees reported that they'd had no incidents or disruption while he was there.

LaBeouf, who has discussedembracing sobrietyin recent years, has a history of alcohol-related arrests. The star was court-ordered to attend rehab followinga 2017 arrestin Georgia on charges of public intoxication and disorderly conduct. Before that, he was arrested in October 2015 on charges of public intoxication and in 2014 on charges ofdisorderly conductafter interrupting a performance ofCabaret.

Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with ourEW Dispatch newsletter.

Last year LaBeoufsettledasexual assault and battery lawsuitthat his former girlfriendFKA Twigsfiled against him after he denied the allegations. Before Twigs dropped the charges, LaBeouf blamed his struggles with PTSD and alcoholism for his allegedly abusive behavior towards the singer. He stated that being forced to reckon with his actions "saved my f‑‑‑ing life."

Read the original article onEntertainment Weekly

Shia LaBeouf breaks silence after Mardi Gras arrest in connection with alleged brawl with 2 men

Dave Benett/WireImage Shia LaBeoufhas just two words to share after his arrest in New Orleans on Tuesday. ...
Trump wants his Board of Peace to solve world conflicts. It still has a lot of work to do in Gaza

JERUSALEM (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump'sBoard of Peaceisset to meetfor the first time on Thursday in Washington, an early test of whether one of his marquee foreign policy initiatives can gain broad support and advance the shaky ceasefire agreementin the Gaza Strip.

Associated Press FILE - Palestinians walk along a street surrounded by buildings destroyed in Israeli air and ground operations during a dust storm in Gaza City, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Jehad Alshrafi) FILE - Palestinians inspect damage to a tent hit by an Israeli strike in Khan Younis, in the southern Gaza Strip, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2026. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana, file)

Board of Peace Explainer

Trump'sballooning ambitionsfor the board extend from governing and rebuilding Gaza as a futuristic metropolis to challenging the United Nations Security Council's role in solving conflicts. But they could be tempered by the realities of dealing with Gaza, where there has so far been limited progress in achievingthe narrower aimsof the ceasefire.

Palestinians, including many civilians, are still being killed innear-daily strikesthat Israel says are aimed at militants who threaten or attack its forces. Hamas hasn't disarmed, no international forces have deployed, and a Palestinian committee meant to take over from Hamas is stuck in neighboring Egypt.

"If this meeting does not result in fast, tangible improvements on the ground — and particularly on the humanitarian front — its credibility will quickly crumble," said Max Rodenbeck, Israel-Palestine Project Director at the International Crisis Group, a global think tank.

A new international body

More than two dozen nations have signed on as the board'sfounding members.

The list includes Israel and other regional heavyweights involved in ceasefire negotiations, as well as countries from outside the Middle East whose leaders support Trump or hope to gain his favor. U.S. allies like France, Norway and Swedenhave so far declined.

Israelis are suspicious of the involvement of Qatar and Turkey, which have longstanding relations with Hamas. Palestinians object because their representatives weren't invited to the board, even as it weighs the future of a territory that is home to some 2 million of them.

Trump, the self-appointed chairman of the board, said earlier this week that member countrieshad pledged $5 billiontoward rebuilding Gaza and would commit thousands of personnel to peacekeeping and policing. No financial pledges — or an agenda for this week's meeting — have been made public.

"We want to make it successful. I think it has the chance to be the most consequential board ever assembled of any kind," Trump told reporters on Monday. He reiterated his criticism of the U.N.'s record on resolving international disputes.

Ambitious plans

Trump — along with son-in-law Jared Kushner and envoy Steve Witkoff — has laid out ambitious plans for rebuilding Gaza with international investment.

In Davos last month,Kushner suggestedreconstruction could be complete in a matter of three years, even though U.N. forecasts suggest that clearing rubble and demining alone could take much longer.

Kushner's slides showed a reconstructed Gaza with a coastal tourism strip, industrial zones and data centers. He conceded that rebuilding would begin only in demilitarized areas and that security would be essential to attract investment.

The latest joint estimate by the U.N., European Union and World Bank says reconstruction will cost about $70 billion.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said there will be no reconstruction until Hamas disarms, leaving Palestinians in limbo among the widespread devastation.

Advertisement

Halting progress

The ceasefire deal has halted major military operations,freed the last hostagesheld by Hamas and ramped up aid deliveries to Gaza. But a lasting resolution to the two-year war ignited byHamas' Oct. 7, 2023 attackinto Israel remains elusive.

The deal envisions Hamas handing over its weapons and Israeli forces withdrawing from Gaza as international forces deploy. Itleft some questions unanswered and set no timelineto secure buy-in and defer confrontation over those issues.

Israel and the U.S. say Hamas' disarmament is key to progress on the other fronts. Arab and Muslim members of the Board of Peace have accused Israel of undermining the ceasefire with its daily strikes and want the U.S. to rein in its close ally. They have called on Hamas to disarm but say Israel's withdrawal is just as important.

Israel defines demilitarization as extending from heavy weapons like rocket-propelled grenades all the way down to rifles. Netanyahu said Sunday that Hamas would have to give up roughly 60,000 automatic rifles.

Despite accepting the agreement, Hamas has made only vague or conditional commitments to disarm as part of a process leading to the establishment of a Palestinian state. Senior Hamas officials have saidtheir security forcesneed to retain some weapons in order to maintain law and order during the transition.

Some of the ideas under discussion include Hamas "freezing" its arms by placing them in sealed depots under outside supervision or giving up heavy weapons while keeping some handguns for policing, according to two regional officials involved in the negotiations. One official said disarmament is a complicated process that could take months. The officials requested anonymity to discuss the negotiations.

It's far from certain that Israel or the United States would agree to such ideas.

A stabilization force

The ceasefire deal also calls for a temporary International Stabilization Force made up of soldiers from Arab and Muslim-majority countries to vet, train and support to a new Palestinian police force. Its mandate is not spelled out in detail, but would include securing aid deliveries and preventing weapons smuggling.

Countries being asked to contribute to the force insist that any deployment be framed as a peacekeeping mission. They have refused to take part in the disarmament of Hamas, a job that could put them in harm's way. Another concern is the presence ofarmed groups allied with Israel.

Indonesia has begun training a contingent ofup to 8,000 soldiersfor the force, though its foreign minister said last week that they would not take part in disarmament.

Postwar governance

Under the ceasefire agreement, Hamasis to hand over powerto a transitional committee of politically independent Palestinian administrators. The U.S. has named a 15-member committee and tapped former U.N. envoy Nickolay Mladenov to oversee them as the board's envoy to Gaza.

The committee, led by former Palestinian Authority deputy minister Ali Shaath, has not yet been granted Israeli permission to enter Gaza from Egypt. Israel hasn't commented on the matter.

Mladenov said last week that the committee will not be able to work unless Hamas hands over power and ceasefire violations stop.

"We're only embarrassing the committee and ultimately making it ineffective," he said at the Munich Security Conference. "All of this needs to move very fast."

__ Magdy reported from Cairo. Aamer Madhani in West Palm Beach, Fla. contributed reporting.

Trump wants his Board of Peace to solve world conflicts. It still has a lot of work to do in Gaza

JERUSALEM (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump'sBoard of Peaceisset to meetfor the first time on Thursday in Washingto...

 

MN MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com