Rhode Island hockey game shooter killed ex-wife, son before self, police say

The shooter who killed his ex-wife and adult son at a youth hockey game in Rhode Island on Monday was subdued by bystanders but drew a second gun and killed themself, police said Tuesday.

NBC Universal Image: US-CRIME-SHOOTING (Joseph Prezioso / AFP - Getty Images)

Robert Dorgan, 56, who police said also went by the first name Roberta and by the last name Esposito, opened fire at the ice rink in Pawtucket as the family's other son was playing in a youth hockey game, Police Chief Tina Goncalves said.

"It was their senior night, and there was no expectations or any indication that there was going to be any type of violence," Goncalves said at a news conference Tuesday.

Dorgan's ex-wife, Rhonda Dorgan, and adult son Aidan Dorgan were killed, Goncalves said.

Rhonda Dorgan died at the scene, and Aidan Dorgan died after he was rushed to a hospital, she said.

Three other people — Rhonda Dorgan's mother and father and a family friend — were shot and wounded and were in critical care Tuesday, Goncalves said.

The shooting happened around 2:30 p.m. Monday at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, a town north of Providence, officials said.

Video showed panic and players on the benches ducking for cover after shots rang out.

Others at the arena stepped in after the shooting, and at least three bystanders confronted the shooter, Goncalves said.

"At that time, the suspect did reach for a second firearm, and he did inflict a self-inflicted gunshot wound, which is what he succumbed to on scene," she said.

Advertisement

The motive remained under investigation Tuesday, Goncalves said.

The suspect had previously attended their son's hockey games, she said.

Police were conducting search warrants Tuesday, and the police department has several videos from both the livestream of the event and parents who were at the arena and recording their children, Goncalves said.

Goncalves asked anyone with videos or other information to contact police.

"Our hearts go out to the families that were affected, obviously the children on the ice — this was supposed to be a joyous event for them," she said.

Pawtucket Mayor Donald Grebien on Tuesday thanked the bystanders who intervened, saying they "stepped in without hesitation, placing themselves in harm's way to stop that shooter."

"Their courage undoubtedly prevented further loss and injury, and we thank them for that," Grebien said.

The Dorgan family said in a statement Tuesday, "We are all deeply and profoundly affected by the recent events that took place at the Dennis M. Lynch Arena."

"We are reminded that behind every headline is a family experiencing profound pain and loss," the family said. "We care greatly for all families impacted by this recent tragedy and our thoughts are with them."

If you or someone you know is in crisis, call or text 988, or go to988lifeline.orgto reach the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. You can also call the network, previously known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, at800-273-8255or visitSpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources.

Rhode Island hockey game shooter killed ex-wife, son before self, police say

The shooter who killed his ex-wife and adult son at a youth hockey game in Rhode Island on Monday was subdued by bystand...
Abe Lincoln's rare funeral flag finds new home at Manhattan steakhouse

A rare American flag that drapedPresident Abraham Lincoln's casket during his 1865 funeral procession has found a new home, at a Manhattan steakhouse.

USA TODAY

Keens Steakhouse, a 141-year-old Midtown restaurant known for its collection of Americana memorabilia, unveiled the 37-star flag during a private ceremony Feb. 12. The half-million-dollar acquisition will be permanently displayed in the restaurant's second-floor Lincoln Room.

The flag is believed to be the only surviving casket flag from Lincoln's funeral train, which carried the slain president's body roughly 1,600 miles from Washington to his burial site in Springfield, Illinois. The solemn journey passed through hundreds of towns in April 1865, including a stop at New York's City Hall.

More:Were these men America's real first presidents?

Keens said in a Facebook post that it has honored Lincoln's legacy since 1885 and welcomed the historic flag to its "permanent residence" at the restaurant near Herald Square.

Advertisement

The flag joins an extensive collection of Lincoln artifacts housed upstairs at the restaurant, including political cartoons, a framed copy of the so-called Bixby letter written by Lincoln to a Union widow believed to have lost five sons in the Civil War, and a stained theater program that a nearby article claims Lincoln was holding at Ford's Theatre on the night he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth.

The addition marks the first major 21st-century acquisition for the Lincoln Room and the first significant update to the collection since at least the 1950s.

"Guests come to Keens not just for a meal, but for a sense of history; and The Abraham Lincoln Casket Flag 1865 is one of the most meaningful artifacts we have ever had the privilege to display," said Julia Lisowski, Keens Steakhouse general manager, in a statement. "Keens has always been a steward of American history, and welcoming this extraordinary piece into our Lincoln Room allows us to honor President Lincoln's legacy in a way that feels both intimate and profound."

Keens, founded in 1885, is known for its white tablecloth dining room, mutton chops and porterhouse steaks and for preserving artifacts tied to presidents, politicians and New York history.

Now, alongside its signature cuts of beef, the restaurant will also serve a piece of Civil War-era history.

This article originally appeared on NorthJersey.com:Abraham Lincoln's funeral flag on display at New York steakhouse

Abe Lincoln's rare funeral flag finds new home at Manhattan steakhouse

A rare American flag that drapedPresident Abraham Lincoln's casket during his 1865 funeral procession has found a ne...
Exclusive-California preparing lawsuit over Trump administration vaccine changes

By Dan Levine and Robin Respaut

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 17 (Reuters) -

The state of California is preparing a lawsuit challenging recent federal changes to U.S. childhood vaccine recommendations made by the Trump administration, the state's attorney general said in ‌an interview on Tuesday.

Rob Bonta, the attorney general of the most populous U.S. state, also said he would "maybe" be open ‌to working with the Trump administration and U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to limit broad federal immunity for drug companies over alleged ​vaccine injuries.

HHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A California lawsuit over the childhood vaccination schedule would add legal pressure on the administration, as medical organizations and public health experts have warned the changes could lower vaccination rates.

Kennedy has upended longstanding vaccine policies since his taking office last year. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a new immunization schedule that removed universal recommendations for vaccines ‌against rotavirus, influenza, meningococcal disease, hepatitis A and ⁠hepatitis B, stating that parents should consult with healthcare providers under what it calls shared clinical decision-making.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and other leading medical organizations have sued in a bid to stop the ⁠new vaccine schedule, arguing the overhaul was illegal and not driven by evidence. The suit seeks to replace the Kennedy-appointed Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices and have its decisions overturned.

In an interview with Reuters on Tuesday, Bonta and Connecticut Attorney General William Tong both expressed disdain for Kennedy's views on ​vaccines. ​In terms of new litigation, Bonta said his "team is mobilized" and is "looking ​at what the complaint looks like, where to file, ‌what our standing is, all the, all the things we have to have locked in."

Bonta did not provide additional details about the planned lawsuit, including when it would be filed. Tong also said "we're scrambling our jets," and a spokesman for his office later confirmed that it is working with California on a potential multistate filing.

When it comes to vaccine injuries, U.S. law mandates that most people seeking to sue drug manufacturers file their claims with a special vaccine court run by HHS that aims to address claims quickly, while capping compensation ‌and limiting liability for the companies.

The program has long been targeted by ​Kennedy and his allies, in part because HHS defends those cases, rather than ​pharma companies themselves. Before leading HHS, Kennedy represented plaintiffs claiming ​vaccine injuries and played an instrumental role in organizing mass litigation against drugmaker Merck over its Gardasil ‌vaccine. A U.S.judge ruled for Merck in many of ​those cases.

Bonta expressed skepticism towards broad ​immunities conferred by Congress to specific corporate sectors, including vaccine makers, but he said he did not want to feed anti-vaccine views espoused by Kennedy.

"I like the facts. I like science. I don't want to give any airtime to his-- I ​mean, just conspiracy bullshit," Bonta said.

"Can there ‌be an example of a pharmaceutical company that did something wrong, and hurt people based on the facts, and ​they're enjoying absolute immunity when they should have accountability? Yeah, that's possible," Bonta added.

(Reporting by Dan Levine and Robin ​Respaut in San Francisco; editing by Peter Henderson and Ethan Smith)

Exclusive-California preparing lawsuit over Trump administration vaccine changes

By Dan Levine and Robin Respaut SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 17 (Reuters) - The state of California is preparing a laws...
Southern Charm Salley Carson

Apparently,Southern CharmstarSalley Carsonhas a thing about sliding into people's DMs.

"I'm definitely talking to people," she told the Not Skinny But Not Fat podcast, which aired this morning. "I'm just not seriously dating."

After admitting that she's not on any dating apps, Salley teased, "I slide in the DMs." Recently, she even slid into the DMs of an NFL professional athlete, who may already have a girlfriend.

The NFL's Cooper DeJean is allegedly dating WWE's Nikki Garcia

"I just slid intoCooper DeJean's," Salley confessed. Cooper is a cornerback for the Philadelphia Eagles, and he's just 23 years old. He's alsoreportedly datingWWE legendNikki Garcia.

Perhaps "dating" is too strong a word, since Nikki has only been to a couple of Eagles games, and she and Cooper have "hung out." Plus she's 20 years older than him, just getting over anasty divorceand has a child.

Although it wasn't her first "slide," Salley recalled sending Cooper an article about his relationship with Nikki, asking, "Are you dating her?"

It all started with the two "liking" each other's social media pictures, but they soon became friendly. "I have his number. I think he's so cute. He's going to kill me," she said, blushing furiously.

Advertisement

After "liking" a post about Cooper and Nikki "possibly dating," Salley finally messaged him.

"I went to his page [and thought], 'Oh, he's super cute,'" she said. "Then I liked his photo, and he liked three of mine. Then I DM'd him, [and] he DM'd me back."

She was actually "shocked" that he responded, since he has 1.1 million Instagram followers. Maybe he's a Southern Charm fan?

Noting that they've yet to meet in real life, they still seem to be in contact. Salley shared, "I told him 'happy birthday' like two days ago."

"I would love to meet him if he's not dating [Nikki]," she added. "Now I'm scared because that girl is going to beat my ass if they are dating."

Southern Charmairs Wednesdays at 9/8c on Bravo. It streams the next day on Peacock.

TELL US – DO YOU THINK SALLEY WILL EVER MEET COOPER IN REAL LIFE?

The postSouthern Charm's Salley Carson Admits Sliding Into This NFL Player's DMs Amid His Rumored High-Profile Romanceappeared first onReality Tea.

Southern Charm’s Salley Carson Admits Sliding Into This NFL Player’s DMs Amid His Rumored High-Profile Romance

Apparently,Southern CharmstarSalley Carsonhas a thing about sliding into people's DMs. "I'm definitely talking to people,...

 

MN MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com