France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week

France's Macron calls for calm ahead of march for far-right activist killed last week

PARIS, Feb 21 (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron called for calm ahead of rallies planned ‌on Saturday in memory of a far-right ‌activist killed last week.

Reuters

He said that he would hold a meeting ​next week with the prime minister and relevant ministers on violent groups.

"In the Republic, no violence is legitimate. In the Republic, only Republican forces can ‌act because they protect ⁠the Republican order. There is no place for militias," Macron said at the ⁠opening of the annual agricultural salon on Saturday. He said that the government was on alert to ​ensure that ​everything goes well at ​the marches later on ‌Saturday.

Advertisement

The marches are in memory of Quentin Deranque, 23, who was beaten to death in a fight that was caught on camera and shocked the nation. Police are concerned the marches could turn violent, ‌with clashes between opposing groups.

The ​largest march is expected at ​3 p.m. in ​Lyon, the city where Deranque was killed ‌and where there is a ​concentration of ​far-right and antifascist groups. The interior ministry estimates that between 2,000 and 3,000 people will ​attend. There are ‌smaller marches planned in a number of ​other French towns.

(Reporting by Layli Foroudi; Editing by ​Sharon Singleton, Kirsten Donovan)

 

MN MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com